Solid-Run's HummingBoard (during development known as Carrier-One) is the internal development board for the i.MX6 MicroSOM (System on Module), since released as a powerful micro-computing platform. Based on the scalable Freescale i.MX6 family of system-on-chip (SoC) processors ranging from a single to quad Cortex-A9 processor cores, 2D/3D hardware graphics processing unit, video decoding and encoding acceleration hardware, HDMI 1080p 3D as well a compatibility with a broad range of peripherals.
The "HummingBoard" name often refers to models launched with the i.MX6 solo, dual lite and dual versions of the MicroSOM will be offered. A commercial packaged-offering that pairs the Professional carrier board with the quad-core version of the MicroSOM is not available in the initial offering as a thermal solution continues development. These parts can be ordered separately (end user will need to set fuses and procure a heatsink).
More specifically the "HummingBoard" is the carrier board to which the MicroSOM is attached to provide the inputs and outputs for the computing module.
Detailed hardware specification
The hummingboard itself is offered in two versions: the standard and professional version of the carrier board. The professional, or "pro", version of the carrier board offers additional features and native integrated capability for specific uses.
Hummingboard family comparison table
|HummingBoard Base||HummingBoard Professional|
|Ethernet||10/100 Mbps||10/100/1000 Mbps 2|
|PCI-Express 2 Gen|
|Powered USB||2x USB 2.0||2x USB 2.0|
|Powered Internal USB||2x USB 2.0|
|Micro SD Interface|
|RTC With Backup Battery|
|Optical S/PDIF Audio Out|
|Audio Out||PWM Mono output||Analog Stereo out and MIC In|
|InfraRed for Remote Control||38KHz Receiver|
|GPIO header 3||UART, 8 GPIO, SPI with 2 CS, I2C||UART, 8 GPIO, SPI with 2 CS, I2C|
- At the present time, the MicroSOM Quad is not offered in a combo offering, but may be ordered as separate carrier board and MicroSOM.
- 1000Mbps link is limited to 470Mbps actual bandwidth due to internal chip bus limitation
- Other functions are available via i.MX6 pin muxing.
HummingBoard Pro board layout
The picture to the right is the top view of HummingBoard Pro. It includes -
- MicroSOM - This board holds the i.MX6 main processor, DDR3 memory, Gigabit Ethernet PHY, either BCM4329 or BCM4330 WiFi/BT and power management devices.
- Standard micro USB connector 5V as a DC power
- HDMI connector
- Half size mini pci express connector (yellow on the bottom are M2.5 screw ports)
- Two internal USB header ports (pro version)
- 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet Connector (throughput up to 470Mbps based on bus speed)
- Powered 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- MIPI CSI connector
- Infrared receiver
- RTC battery header (powers NXP PCF8523 real time clock). Bottom pin is the '+'
- Audio in and out connector (connects to SGTL5000 audio codec)
- Digital coax S/PDIF connector
- 26 pin GPIO header compatible with the Raspberry pi header
- LVDS display connector
- Reset button
- Two LEDs - Red is power and Green is Ethernet link and activity
The picture to the right is the bottom view of HummingBoard Pro. It includes -
- Micro SD connector (for OS image and user data)
- Full size mSATA connector
- Place holder for SIM card connector (not assembled by default). The user can solder JAE SF7W006S1AE1000 connector.
Notice that the SIM card requires the user to install a half size mini pcie GSM modem that uses the SIM card for broadband carrier connectivity.
26 pin header layout
|Pin Number||Pin Description||Pin Number||Pin Description|
|7||gpio1||8||uart tx (buffered)|
|9||gnd||10||uart rx (buffered)|
|23||spi clock||24||spi cs#0|
|Pin Number||Pin Muxing options|
Serial UART port access
The UART port for debug can be accessed on the 26 pin header as follows -
- Pin 6/9/14/20/25 GND
- Pin 1 3.3V
- Pin 8 buffered i.MX6 UART TX - pulled up to 3.3v
- Pin 10 buffered i.MX6 UART RX - pulled up to 3.3v
Notice that the pin number starts as pin #1 on the edge of the board, towards the micro-USB connector; then number #2 is the one towards the corner of the board.